What 100% Clean Energy Means For California

Here's why we're working for a 100% clean-powered California

Californians want clean air, good jobs, and a healthy future for the next generation. The legislature listened to tens of thousands of Californians calling for action and passed this bill. The time is NOW to move California forward on our clean power transition. Tell Governor Brown to sign SB 100 into law and set a goal of 100% clean electricity by 2045.

For Climate Leadership

California is on the path to meet our renewable energy standard of 50% by 2020 – ten years ahead of schedule, with the target originally set for 2030. But as a changing climate brings floods, droughts, wildfires, and sea level rise, it has never been more urgent for California to take bold action and complete our transition away from fossil fuels.

Together, we can inspire the global transition to a clean, reliable, affordable energy future.

For Climate Leadership

California is on the path to meet our renewable energy standard of 50% by 2020 – ten years ahead of schedule, with the target originally set for 2030. But as a changing climate brings floods, droughts, wildfires, and sea level rise, it has never been more urgent for California to take bold action and complete our transition away from fossil fuels.

Together, we can inspire the global transition to a clean, reliable, affordable energy future.

For Healthier Communities

Powering our grid with clean energy like solar and wind will clean up our air and improve the health and wellbeing of all Californians, especially for communities that are most directly impacted by fossil fuel pollution.

A transition to 100% clean energy for the state will create a pathway for the public health and economic benefits of local renewable energy to reach communities that need it the most.

For Jobs and Economic Opportunity

California’s clean energy policies have helped bolster the state’s economy – now the 6th largest in the world. Solar, wind, energy efficiency and other clean power sources now collectively employ over half a million Californians.

Moving towards 100% clean energy will boost our economy and drive more innovation, creating hundreds of thousands of jobs in the regions that need it most.

For Jobs and Economic Opportunity

California’s clean energy policies have helped bolster the state’s economy – now the 6th largest in the world. Solar, wind, energy efficiency and other clean power sources now collectively employ over half a million Californians.

Moving towards 100% clean energy will boost our economy and drive more innovation, creating hundreds of thousands of jobs in the regions that need it most.

Photo credits: CALPIRG Students, Asian Pacific Environmental Network

Reaching 100% Through Clean Energy: Renewables and Clean Electricity

The next step to maintaining our state’s clean energy momentum and showing the world a pathway to a healthy and sustainable future is to commit to a future powered by 100% zero-carbon electricity. Meeting 100% of California’s electricity needs with zero-carbon resources is a bold goal, but achieving it is within reach. To achieve 100% clean energy and transition away from fossil fuels, we must grow our use of renewable energy from renewable natural resources like wind, solar, and geothermal power.

If SB 100 is passed into law, this bill will set a goal of 100% clean, fossil-free electricity by 2045, with at least 60% from renewable energy resources. The remaining 40% can come from more renewables, existing large hydropower plants, and other carbon-free resources. SB 100 will be California’s biggest commitment yet to a clean energy future.